In making her case for the vagina-as-destiny, Wolf ignores profound cultural realities. She asserts—without sarcasm—that, nowadays, “women can do ‘whatever’ they wish sexually and be ‘bad girls’ with little stigma,” a “fact” that would come as a surprise to women of color, Sandra Fluke, and any female survivor of sexual assault. She insists that women who are alienated from their sexuality or unsatisfied with their sex lives lack only male partners with better skills, as though misogyny, poverty, and any number of other structural oppressions don’t exist.
Jaclyn Friedman’s great take down of Naomi Wolf’s myopic feminism.
9 Notes/ Hide
- diethylmercury likes this
- handguns-4-hearts likes this
- adorebell reblogged this from allisonmoon
- beatsandwaves reblogged this from sexualassumptions
- geekweasel reblogged this from wordscanbesexy
- wordscanbesexy reblogged this from allisonmoon
- gaspundkiss likes this
- sexualassumptions reblogged this from allisonmoon
- sexualassumptions likes this
- allisonmoon posted this